Louise is a fully qualified personal trainer and owner of Baby Steps PT . She is also mum to cheeky Charlie, almost 2. Louise is passionate about fitness, health and nutrition and is going to share some great healthy meal ideas with us over a four part series. Thanks Louise!
Snacking is often where we let ourselves down by reaching for chocolate, biscuits and chips. One of the biggest tips I can give you is not to put naughty things in your shopping trolley! It’s pretty simple, if it’s not in the pantry or drawer – you can’t eat it. Instead, fill a bowl with fresh fruit at the beginning of every week and pop it on your kitchen counter or desk. You can also have a snack bowl or drawer filled with packets of nuts, muesli bars and crackers. If junk food is out of sight, and you have healthier snacks on hand – you’re less likely to make unhealthy choices when it comes to snacking.
Here are some yummy and nutritious snack ideas for you.
1) Almonds or raw, unsalted nuts – you can buy them in handy little snack sized boxes
2) Fruit – stay away from high sugar fruits i.e melon, mango & stone fruits. Choose strawberries, apples, pears and berries
3) Rice or Corn cakes (2) with light peanut butter, hommus or low fat cottage cheese
4) 1 tub of low fat yoghurt – low GI, option to add berries and almonds
5) 1 slice of raisin toast spread with low fat ricotta
6) Home made muffins – there are so many healthy recipes out here, you could try whipping up a batch of carrot and walnut muffins or these delicious banana and coconut muffins. To make the recipe healthier, skip the icing, add less sugar and substitute the flour for wholemeal flour. Muffins freeze beautifully and are a yummy snack, without excess sugar
7) Smoothies make a delicious snack. Use low fat milk, low fat yogurt, honey and whatever fruit you have handy! Bananas, strawberries, blueberries – your choices are endless!
8) Muesli bars low in fat and sugar are a very handy and healthy snack, and are a much better alternative to biscuits or chocolate
I hope you’ve enjoyed my healthy eating series, and I’ve inspired you to make better choices when it comes to food. Because we can all treat our bodies with a bit more love!
Head on over and say hi on my Baby Steps PT Facebook page!