At my Nan’s 75th birthday morning tea, my mum organised for her to give everyone a keepsake recipe with a beautifully handwritten note.
‘I’ve always wanted to give this recipe to you girls. I made it when we lived on the farm in Henley Brook for Aunty Milly. She say to me ‘Margaret, you should start a cake business and make this cake and your pavlovas’ so I hope that you would like to make this cake, it tastes beautiful. Love you all, Mum and Nan.’
Today at my Nan’s birthday lunch with the extended family, my gorgeous sister in law Jess turned up with the Strawberry Hazelnut Gateau, such a beautiful gesture. It was unbelievably delicious. Think Ferrero Rocher meets strawberries and cream. YUM!
4 egg whites
1 1/4 cups castor sugar
90g ground hazelnuts
1 teaspoon vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
185g dark chocolate
1/4 cup water
1 cup cream
1 punnet strawberries
1 1/2 cups extra cream
1) Pre-heat moderate oven. Beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form; gradually add sugar, beat until sugar is dissolved and mixture is of meringue consistency. Beat in vinegar and vanilla
2) Line bases and sides of two 20cm springform pans with greased greaseproof paper which has been slightly dusted with cornflour
3) Spread meringue mixture evenly into tins. Sprinkle ground hazelnuts evenly over meringue in both tins. With knife or small spatula, swirl hazelnuts lightly through the meringue.
4) Smooth over top of meringue with back of spoon. Bake in moderate oven 35 to 40 minutes or until meringue is crisp to touch.
5) Chop chocolate. Combine with water in top of double sauce pan; stir over simmering water until melted. Allow to cool.
6) Remove cakes from bases, place a layer of meringue on serving plate flat side down; spread with a thin layer of chocolate. Spread whipped cream over chocolate. Reserve four strawberries, wash and hull remainder, cut in half and arrange over cream
7) Spread underside of second layer of meringue with remaining chocolate mixture, place on top of strawberry layer chocolate side down.
8) Whip extra cream, cover sides and top of cake and if desired pipe cream decoratively on top. Arrange reserved halved strawberries on top of cake. Keep in fridge until ready to serve.
A x x x x
Have you been handed down a special keepsake recipe?
What’s your all time favourite cake?0